Saturday, January 15, 2011

Jason Fried: Why work doesn't happen at work | Video on TED.com




This doesn't relate to my "field" of business and isn't practical for the retail business model. This is more of a shout out to those white collar readers not so much as a demand to listen but rather a request to at least watch. Having been a manager myself in a prior job I found the ideas contained in this talk very interesting and provocative as I lined it up with my own experiences managing a group of people.

If you've never heard of TED Talks, check out the site. There is a collection of amazingly creative, artistic, intelligent, and Tony Stark level innovating talks. Best of all you don't have to be Iron Man to afford checking it out. It's all free.


P.S. Thank you for the over whelming comments and responses from my last post. I'm glad to see that people identify with what I wrote and shared their own experience with others. Having read many many comments in the last month it was a pleasant change to see people interacting with an idea or opinion. Thanks.

16 comments:

  1. I find this video to be especially true. Managements job is to interrupt people, this guy is spot on with everything.

    Real problems are the M&M's. Tasty and true!

    Like your fun experiences with management, I've found that rarely management provides any kind of quality service. My last manager transferred in from a call center, and didn't have a flying clue of how to manage people. Luckily for me, he didn't try to. He recognized that him not managing people turned out to be a rather successful strategy. The only time he ever jumped in was when we weren't working, which was the only positive function I've ever seen management serve, sifting through the good and bad employees.

    Keep up the quality posts man, haven't been disappointed yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The TED talks are great, they are very informative and it's a great opportunity to see how some of the greatest minds in the world think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His stuff at the beginning about not getting shit done at work is true. I also work retail, and I am constantly helping retards throughout the day. before you know it, it's 5 and time to go homw then I have to worry about what my boss is gonna say the next day. It's a vicious circle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will definatly checkout the talks, sounds very interesting mate ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool post...
    Although I quite like the constant interruptions of work - I find i'm most creative in short bursts...or if there is a deadline looming.

    But interesting ideas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ted is pretty awesome, we watch some videos there in my English 1A class in college, one of the favorite classes I have ever taken. Any one of them have such great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to become management, I definitely wouldnt be like those d-bags you've talked about tho...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm one of the people who has to go work at an office every day. luckily they were kind enough to put me by the window, so i just look at cars and women all day. i guess i prove this guy's point haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. i want a robot
    now
    thats why i follow you

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahahah that's a cool video!

    ReplyDelete