Monday, January 17, 2011

Price Check into the Boards


I'm a sales person on the floor. But whenever a cashier calls me blindly because she can't deal with a customer yelling at her telling her to give them the lower price I walk up to the counter calmly and explain to them:

"Sir/Mam the price is as the computer dictates."
They usually reply that they're entitled to the price for whatever reason, be it made up or a mistake of placing the product in the correct hole, the sale sign not being taken down (which DO have expiry dates on them), or it "looks like" something in the flyer with a different product number.

"Well Sir/Mam, as much as you want it to be that price it isn't the case. All merchants can reserve the right to change price, null deals and specials, or DENY service where they see fit, As a PRIVATE company we are allowed to do this. Unfortunately we can not sell the item at this price because we would actually lose money. All we can offer you is an apology."

I don't yell this, or scream this and I'm not rude just firm. I explain this AS THE LAW it is. And I do give them a hearted apology. Except in 90% of the cases, customers are out to get the lowest price no matter the cost and usually get loud thinking I'll either back down or give in. Regardless, I make it clear that whatever television show ,friend of theirs, or some Episode of LA Law explained to them is WRONG.

Nobody has ever quoted any Act or Law when saying this, as usual it’s always a case of someone thinking they can yell their way into financial gain (unless it’s Bill O’Reilly). Usually it is 99% of the time in the face of some teenage girl cashier who is on the verger of tears by the time I swoop in and turn on the tough talk switch. I’m not a bully, in fact I was picked on all my life until I found a nice balance in the social realm of quiet outsider. But when I see crap like verbal abuse against somebody they think will just stand there are take it. Well…that’s when I start having fun.

I admit it. I absolutely LOVE arguing with customers. Because it’s the time when I can really tell people how I feel. Granted I always choose my battles well to make sure its not in front of management, I’m not wearing my name tag, and it’s not some dude who looks like he’s out on a prison-day pass. One trait I’m proud of is my ability to keep composure but still insult and egg people on to get angrier. So by the time we’re finished they usually drop everything and leave the store. We by-pass the whole “I want to talk with your manager!” Because I make it quite apparent that nobody cares about their selfishness. It’s a scene straight out of Dave Chapelle’s “Popcopy” skit (Google it, Youtube doesn’t have it).

22 comments:

  1. Loved the skit. "Should you ever doubt yourself and feel like treating a customer with respect, just remember, you graduated from grade school and you don't have to take s*** from noone"

    I never really understand the delusion that people have that yelling and screaming will make things go smoother. Most people in customer service that I'm talked to say that it's the police ones that often end up getting what they want. Hell, I've reversed hundreds of dollars in service fee's for someone just because he liked my shirt, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People will haggle over anything, even non-negotiable prices. I once was held up in line almost 10 minutes as the old Asian woman in front of me tried to 'haggle' with the cashier over a potted plant. All of that, for 50 cents off (which she did not get).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arguing is fine, but you cannot always control the action people that don't know how to haggle take...had it pan out to the worst imaginable.

    Anyway, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I take almost the same exact approach in trying to deal with other tolls and jerks on the internet. At least I try to, without raging at them. You kind of have to find a way to deal with things when you play online games a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to be freed more moral inhibitions - like when telemarketers call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had one woman who would have her kids swap price tags on similar items, because company rules said that if we had to give a customer the lower price if we fucked up like that. It was hilarious when she was banned and we were the only grocery store in town. How you gonna feed your legion of filthy kids now, biatch?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of my days of managing a cell phone store. Oh the wonderful arguments that I'd have with my customers.. lol

    Now I have a job where I get to argue with people for a full 8 hours a day, and the pay is better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arguing is really fun :). Without arguing everything would be pointless lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this exact feeling. I umpire, and if people try to push their buttons I push them right back. I don't ever get mad, but I can sure make their life a living hell and embarrass them in front of their whole team if they deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sucks to be in that position because your job depends on pleasing unreasonable people. Some managers understand this, others don't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love argueing with anybody
    sometimes when someone has the same opinion as i have in a ethical or political debate and he doesnt know of my opinion i just argue against him
    just for the lulz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think one of the reasons that customers do that is because some of the younger ones grew up with parents telling them to 'pinch pennies' from back in the 1930s. Having been a cashier for a local supermarket, I know kind of where you are coming from.

    Another thing that gets me is all of the coupons some people dig (and dig) through just to find one for $.30 off, all the time holding up the rest of the line. And we can't do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. damn i'd really love to see that videotaped or something lol (you pissing customers off)

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha I hate it how people always feel so entitled keep fighting the good fight

    ReplyDelete