Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Quiet Day In the Warehouse

First, let me point out about how a well run department store gets all it's goodies and gives them to you. Generally all the little treats that customers fight over come in on a truck. Then there are the warehouse guys who help the drivers load it off the truck. Then the warehouse guys scan the item or at least it's box which puts it in our inventory then send it on a little conveyor belt where it gets put away by other warehouse guys. These guys then dolly or carry the box to its respective place in the warehouse shelves where I the floor employee can pick it up if the floor space is empty.

Now that's how it should work. But at our store it usually happens like this. The truck shows up late, the warehouse guys scan all the boxes, then place them in a big pile, then they get unpaid (yes unpaid) high school teenagers to put the boxes away. These guys "work" at our store cause of some co-op scam the managers arranged with their school for them to learn "job skills", I've yet to see them learn or demonstrate any. But I don't blame them one bit I mean the only thing worse than working for my store would be doing it for free (although they do get paid for working weekends... below minimum wage).So it's hardly surprising that the "in theory" organization of our warehouse is completely disorganized. Funny how a main component of a companies operating system rests a critical point task on unpaid workers.

For one, the company refuses to change its inventory system. Now I worked for this same retail store 8 years ago when I was going through University hence why I am very good technical-wise at my job and don't get fired for being lazy (cause I'm incredibly knowledgeable).Since that time they've yet to change the system. It literally still runs on Green monochrome EGA monitors. God knows when it was actually a "new" system so I'm guessing it's probably 20 years old by now roughly.

So the guys in charge of organizing the warehouse are unpaid high school students who are operating off a "run out the clock" playbook which usually translates into dumping said box where ever there's an open spaces. Which again I understand completely. I do it when I have to "return" pesky items I don't know or care where they are on the shelf and I usually throw it on the upper shelves or behind a bunch of other items. Hey if it looks good the bosses don't care so why should I.

So all of this not giving a fuck translates into one big fucking mess of a warehouse where instead of being organized, things are just kinda "in an area". This excellent business model translates very well for a bad employee like myself and actually makes spending 30 minutes in the warehouse believable to my boss when I know we are either out of the item or its filed away in a corner no where near where it should be. However on the opposite side it makes it very frustrating when I'm looking for an item for a "good customer" and I have to tear through mountains of crap to find an item. I've actually done this looking for a large item that the inventory said we had 70 of yet they were no where to be seen. Oh well, I guess it's back to lying to customers, an essential survival tool for dealing with poor management.

16 comments:

  1. It's cheaper to have you get headaches over their dumbass system than for them to pay someone to make a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That XT brought back happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn. I used to work in a warehouse like that so i understand what you're going through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never ask a employee for an item in the back ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. i now know a bit of how retailing shops work. it's just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah man i've work as a warehouse dog, has its ups and downs, this post made me laugh, will stay updated ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh man...quiet day is better then any other day

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha yes, i feel bad when im at the counter tapping my foot now :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. God I never knew what kind of work really goes into getting food to my belly! My husband works in a warehouse, but not THIS big! Kudos! Following :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh I really enjoy these posts! I've never worked retail, kinda trying to avoid it hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had a TX just like that back in the day

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice insight to what goes on in a warehouse... cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That computer looks pretty hardcore!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a legit blog you got here, followin'

    ReplyDelete
  15. i always wonder about the lives of these workers

    ReplyDelete